Building a custom home is one of the most exciting experiences for any homeowner. Having the opportunity to design a home that fits your exact style and needs, and then watching your vision come to life from the ground up is extremely rewarding and satisfying.
As you embark on your custom homebuilding adventure, one of the first major decisions you will make is whether you want to build in an established community or on your own lot. There are benefits to both options, which can make the decision difficult. However, with years of experience crafting custom homes in the Great Indianapolis area, we can help you determine which option works best for you and your family.
Reasons to Build in a Community
- Security. Building a home in an established community guarantees proximity to neighbors and protective services like firefighters, police officers and other first responders. You can have greater peace of mind knowing that someone will be there to help if an problem arises.
- Community. If you value building relationships with the people around you, settling down in an established home community will give you an opportunity to bond with your neighbors and foster new relationships.
- Accessibility. Home communities come with infrastructure like water and sewer hookups, sidewalks and streets in place. Not only do these features save time and money, but they also make it easier for aging in place, walking pets and enjoying outdoor activities like bike riding.
- Convenience. Home communities are usually situated in major towns, which puts you closer to amenities like parks, schools, restaurants and businesses. If you’re not a fan of commuting or like being close to the action, a community lot will be a much better option for you.
Reasons to Build on Your Own Lot
- Space. Most independent lots are bigger than those in housing communities. Since they offer more land to work with, you can build extensive outdoor living spaces like pool houses, gardens, basketball or tennis courts, and more.
- Independence. When you build on your own lot, you do not have to abide by the rules of an HOA. This gives you the opportunity for more design flexibility, letting you control exactly how your dream home looks, what is included on your property and any other small details an HOA would not allow.
- Privacy. Larger, independent lots are typically situated away from most neighborhoods and communities. If you have several acres to work with, you can have plenty of space away from your nearest neighbors and experience more peace and quiet.
- Nature. Most home communities require tearing out trees and shrubs when developing the land for future homes. When you own your own lot, you can build your dream home on it without losing the natural landscaping and features of the land.
Ask for Help from a Custom Homebuilder
If you’re still unsure which option is best for you or want a second opinion from a trusted professional, reach out to your local custom homebuilder. At Whicker Construction, we have decades of experience building custom homes in new home communities and on privately owned lots for families in Indianapolis and the surrounding areas.
If you’re interested in building in a community, our team can help you find the perfect place for your future home. Right now, we have two lots available in the Avalon North neighborhood in Plainfield, Indiana. This upscale area offers an opportunity to enjoy luxury living in secluded estates.
If you own a lot and are ready to build on it or want to find one that aligns with your vision, we will work closely with you to ensure your homesite is perfect for your needs and budget. Our team will help you evaluate a piece of land and ensure it suits the layout of your future home.